Bernard W. Freedman, JD, MPH
Benefits of getting assistance from an Independent Clinical Bioethicist
Bernard Freedman is a clinical bioethicist and specialist in health law. He assists patients is obtaining ethical treatment and legal protections of their rights.
He acts as a consultant and mediator to patients, physicians, hospitals, providers of hospice care and attorneys to ensure compliance with ethical obligations and legal rights.
Frequent issues that arise include:
- Threats to withhold or withdraw life sustaining treatment
- Challenging determination of lack of capacity to make decisions.
- Obtaining an independent second opinion – making decisions with clarity and confidence
- Rights and limitations of decision makers.
- Informed consent: getting all the information needed to understand risks and benefits.
- Assists in creating Advance Health Directives that are effective.
- Consults with ICU patients and surrogate decision makers